Monday, April 21, 2008

Friend or Foe? Tech Staff and Teachers don't Always Get Along

My first impression upon reading the title was a slightly sarcastic, Really? I guess that goes to show that I've had some problems in the past and have been privy to the griping of teachers about tech support also. I've read the initial post and then the follow up ones. It appears that either you're in a school that is supportive or you're in a school where the decisions are being made out of fear, lack of time, lack of concern, or lack of knowledge. I can't say that I personally would want the job of a tech support person, (and no one would offer it, since I know next to nothing anyway), but it doesn't keep me from having my opinions.
My first opinion is that there needs to be more communication. Teachers need to communicate to the board or administation or whoever makes the rules and also to the tech support. Everyone needs to know why these things that are being blocked would be helpful in the classroom.
One post said that their tech support people are former teachers. That isn't such a bad idea. The old walk a mile in my shoes always helps. At least they would feel a little less like they were speaking two different languages and the teachers, though not getting all they want, may be more inclined to be a little less harsh on someone who knows what they are up against.
I doubt there is a one size fits all answer. There are too many issues being dealt with at too many different levels. Trying to protect children from internet sites that may not be appropriate (thanks COPA), while at the same time allowing access to those items that are educational is a tricky situation.

No comments: